Natural Stone Porous Materials Protection Cleaning D.I.Y.

Combatting mold on natural stone

Fortunately for owners of natural stone, this material can be better protected from mold through the use of the right products.

Of all the dangers facing homes and businesses, none are quite as insidious as those caused by mold. Besides being an unsightly development that can ruin a property’s aesthethics, mold can also cause serious health problems.

While most people associate mold with the outdoors, this fungi can be found both inside and outside.

“No one knows how many species of fungi exist but estimates range from tens of thousands to perhaps three hundred thousand or more,” the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) states on its official website.

Essentially anywhere that is warm, damp and humid represents the perfect breeding ground for mold. However, as the CDC points out, mold spores can survive in many different conditions, even those that normally don’t support mold growth.

What are the dangers of mold?

The CDC states that some people are more sensitive to mold than others.

“For these people, exposure to molds can cause symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation. Some people, such as those with serious allergies to molds, may have more severe reactions,” the organization states.

Just what do they mean by “more severe”? This can include fever, shortness of breath and possibly even lung infections.

In fact, the Institute of Medicine has said there is a link between indoor exposure to mold and upper respiratory tract symptoms, coughs and wheezing in people who would otherwise be described as healthy.

“Other recent studies have suggested a potential link of early mold exposure to development of asthma in some children, particularly among children who may be genetically susceptible to asthma development, and that selected interventions that improve housing conditions can reduce morbidity from asthma and respiratory allergies, but more research is needed in this regard,” the CDC continues.

It’s clear that home and business owners should do all they can to prevent mold growth throughout their properties, including on natural stone.

Reducing mold growth

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states that since mold thrives in moisture, it’s essential to clean up any spills or leaks immediately.

It’s also important to lower humidity. This can be done by proper ventilation. Even something as simple as opening a window can increase airflow and help to reduce mold growth. This is especially important in enclosed spaces like bathrooms, which may see high levels of humidity due to shower steam.

If necessary, invest in air conditioners or de-humidifiers to assist with this.

Surface cleaning for mold stains

If a mold problem is quite extensive or accelerated, you may wish to use the services of a professional for your own safety. However, the EPA states that if the moldy area is less than 10 square feet, you can most likely handle it on your own.

Keep in mind that Dry-Treat provides a number of products that can be used to remove stains from mold.

In addition to mold stains, Oxy-Klenza™ is perfect for many tough, dried-in stains and soiling.

Meanwhile, HANAFINN Sola-Kleena™ uses the energy of the sun and moisture in the air to help reduce mold and mildew stains, making it perfect for outdoor use.

Subscribe to our digest!

Get the latest digest of our helpful hints, tips, and ideas to keep your surfaces looking as good as new!